Marks and Spencer are leading the retail sector by uploading their interior shop floor plans to Google Maps. An excellent digital wayfaring asset for the digitally native shopper.
Today’s retail customers desire speed and convenience. They appreciate having information at their fingertips. Google maps enables this through the addition of their internal map functionality.
Google Maps Internal Map Functionality
This screen grab of Google Maps shows part of the Bluewater Shopping Mall. Malls have understood the importance of mapping their interior floorplan for some time. Individual shops are now able to upload detail to their footprint and you can see amount of information Marks and Spencers have achieved, and how this description makes them stand out from the competition. The tool even allows you to add detail for multiple floor levels.
Advantages of using Internal Maps for retail wayfinding
There are many advantages for customers, we’ve listed out just a few:
1. Click and collect customers know exactly where the collection point is – particularly important for these time sensitive customers
2. Shoppers can find the location of key destinations within the shop, e.g. additional till points or where fitting rooms are located and how big they are.
3. Wheelchair and pushchair users are able to plan their journey and locate lifts easily
4. Shoppers can navigate through a busy store quickly
5. Visitors can see in advance if your store has a toilet facility or cafe
6. For larger stores, this provides a helpful asset for retail staff, enabling them to guide shoppers.
How to create Internal Shopfloor Maps
This is a powerful way to convey retail wayfinding information and we therefore find it surprising how so far, so few shops have taken advantage of this free marketing tool. You can activate this easy to implement digital navigation today, just follow these simple steps.